Ironhide is one of the oldest troops in the Autobot army and serves as Optimus Prime's security chief and weapons specialist. He can be gruff and ornery a lot of the time; he has seen just about every horrible situation one expects from war, several times over. But beneath his rough exterior is a kind, compassionate soul who refuses to let conflict destroy his optimistic attitude. The G1 incarnation of Ironhide speaks in a distinctly roughneck manner, which is perfectly appropriate for a tough-as-triphyllium-nails 'bot like him. While built to last, time has still taken its toll on him and he is prone to breaking down and needing replacement parts. He still remains one of the toughest Autobots of them all and his military experience makes him a wellspring of information and useful tactics to pit against the Decepticons.
- Immunity - Ironhide's chassis is much more resistant to electromagnetic and ballistic attacks than the other Autobots.
- Alternate Mode - Ironhide's Earth-vehicle mode is a Nissan Onebox Cherry Vanette.
- Water Gun - Ironhide's childishly-named "water gun" can fire a multitude of different fluids for different purposes, such as liquid nitrogen, superheated lead, acid and even adhesive fluids for immobilizing enemies.
- Rocket Launcher - Ironhide also carries a rocket launcher in his back, which works as an air-to-air or surface-to-air weapon.
- Excavation Drill - Concealed in his arm is a drill for mining and excavation.
- Sensor Array - Equipped with sonar, radar and a radiowave detector.
- In the 1986 animated Transformers movie, Ironhide commanded a shuttle bound for Earth that was attacked by the Decepticons. He was gunned down along with his crewmates, but managed to hang on long enough to grasp at Megatron's leg. Megatron then blew up Ironhide's head with his fusion cannon.