Optimus Prime is the leader of the Autobots in the Transformers G1 continuity. Before civil war broke out on Cybertron, Optimus was a mere information clerk. As the conflict escalated, Optimus began to voice his disgust over how Cybertronian society had descended into violence. However, he would eventually find himself being chosen by the Matrix of Leadership to take command of the Autobots and lead the fight to free Cybertron from the destructive influence of the Decepticons.
Optimus Prime is charismatic and decisive. He understands the hard choices that need to be made in times of war, but he will always look for a way to win the battle without sacrificing the lives of his soldiers or any bystanders. He firmly believes that freedom is the right of all sentient beings and loss of life - any life - weighs heavily upon him. But he does not succumb to despair and he will always continue fighting for as long as it takes to put an end to the Decepticons' reign of terror.
- Strength - Optimus is the largest and strongest of all the Autobots, in body and mind.
- Ion Blaster - Optimus carries a powerful ion blaster rifle in battle.
- Energon Axe - Optimus wields an energon-powered axe in melee combat.
- Alternate Modes - Optimus's Cybertronian vehicle mode is some form of large, armoured truck. His Earth vehicle mode is that of an 18-wheeler truck.
- Triple Components - Optimus Prime's robot mode is divided into three segments. His main body is the Brain Center, his trailer transforms into an armed combat deck, and he has a wheeled surveillance module called Roller.
- In every incarnation, Optimus Prime has sacrificed himself to protect others and come back to life at a later date.